Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tomatoes and More Tomatoes

No that's not a tomato. That is my cute little Bailey. Whenever I take out the trash he jumps in the wastebasket until I dump him out so I can put in a new bag and put it away. He loves to be in anything and everything.

The melons are coming in from Rocky Ford and they are very good this year. I cut the watermelon and cantaloupe and put in containers. I've been taking a container with me to work every day. This is such a great time of year for produce. It all makes me happy!!!

I froze some more corn and this is how I do it....just cut the corn off the cobs, put it in the freezer bags and pour out as I need it. Easy easy easy and so fresh tasting in the winter.

Now for the tomatoes. I always buy them from Jose that lives in Brighton. He has the best veggies and usually picks them the night before. Out of the box I had one that was bruised. I thought that was pretty good.


As you can see I had lots and lots of help!! We had a really good time too.
Whoops what happened to all the tomatoes?
Tomatoes ready for the freezer. All I do is wash, core and put in the bags. Lydia freezes tomatoes too and when I commented on her blog that I froze them also she was amazed. She said she didn't think anyone did except her family. Maybe that is why when I say I freeze tomatoes I get these blank stares or looks of astonishment...and comments like You freeze them?? Well it is easier than canning although I do that sometimes. I also throw some in the processor and put that in bags to use in place of tomato sauce. See the big cup of diced tomatoes? Well keep reading to see what I do with them.
When I was in Dallas I used to go to La Madeleine's for lunch quite often. I always got the tomato basil soup and a salad. When I moved back home I even brought some with me. Of course there are no La Madeleine's in Denver so I suffered and pined for my long lost Tomato Basil Soup for years. Then one day browsing the Internet I lo and behold came across their recipe. I started jumping up and down and ran to the store to buy tomatoes and basil. It so easy to make and sooo yummy!!
Tomato Basil Soup
from La Madeleine Restaurant
4 cups tomatoes (8 - 10 peeled, cored and chopped) or 4 cups whole canned tomatoes crushed. I always use fresh tomatoes.
4 cups unsalted tomato juice
12 - 14 fresh basil leaves
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
salt and pepper to taste
Combine tomatoes and juice in saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat. Cool slightly, then place in blender. You'll have to do this in batches. Add basil and puree until smooth.
Return mixture to saucepan and add butter and cream.
Stir over low heat until butter and cream are incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Freshly ground of course.
I tried several recipes but none held a candle to this one.


If I make a big batch I put some in the freezer after I blend it and before adding the butter and cream.
Bon Appetit.

9 comments:

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Judy,
Love your little helpers there. What would we do without them?

The soup looks delicious, I'm going to print out the recipe for when it cools down a little around here. Yum, tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches ;)

Your corn looks great too. Guess I better go make dinner!
~Tracie

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your kitties are so cute! They really add so much to our lives don't they?

This recipe sounds delicious! I have a lot of tomatoes getting ripe and I've made a lot of different recipes, I'll add yours to my files to try.

My son and daughter-in-law live in Denver. They love it there!

Cherdecor said...

What cuteness from your kitty! Bailey acts just like a child. Ha! Ha!

I must try this soup recipe. The weather is cooling down some here and it will soon be soup time.
Thank you for posting the recipe!
Hugs,
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

I Love the new blog decor. I really need to do something different to mine. :) xoxo, Joanna

Melissa said...

Judy,

Wow! Your blog is gorgeous. I love the new banner and the backgound. It's so fitting for the name of your blog, too.

Also, you have two of the sweetest little helpers. They are just so cute.

The soup looks wonderful.

Happy Middle of the Week.

Melissa

Thimbleanna said...

Well, who knew??? That soup looks delicious -- thanks for the recipe!

sewtakeahike said...

Aww, your kitties are adorable! I live in Colorado too! It's always nice to find another blogger in the same area!

Joanne Kennedy said...

This sounds so good! I love tomato soup! I'm going to give this a try.

Hugs,
Joanne

Debbies-English-Treasures said...

YUM YUM!
I LOVE TOMATO SOUP... ANY SOUP ACTUALLY!
IS IT ANY LEFT!
I PROMISE TO DO YOUR WASHING UP... IF YOU LET ME HAVE A TASTE OF YOUR YUMMY SOUP!


KEEP THOSE YUMMY RECIPES COMING...
PLEASE!
KISSES JUST FOR YOU
DEBBIE MOSS
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx