Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Freezing Fruits and Vegetables

Now that we have canned and pickled and made jam and syrup we are freezing veggies and berries. And by the way we had some of my raspberry syrup on buttermilk pancakes and it was divine. I made Gale Grands buttermilk pancakes from her new book. It is a brunch book and I've used several recipes from it and it is a wonderful book. It has become one of my favs. The pancakes are light, fluffy and so easy.

OK back to freezing. I blanch most of my veggies before freezing them, cool and put in a Ziploc. I used to put them in separate little bags but now I just make sure they are cool, dry and dump them all in the same bag. As long as they are cooled and dry they don't freeze together and I just take out what I need. The only thing I don't' blanch is the corn. Just cut it off the cob and throw in the bag.

Berries are so easy. Place on cookie sheet until frozen and then put in a Ziploc. I make muffins, pancakes, etc. with them all winter.

Tomatoes I just wash, core and put in a Ziploc. They are good for sauces etc.

Herbs I wash and dry and put in a Ziploc. I use them for several months and they are just wonderful. Freezing is so easy.....try it!!

9 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Thanks for the tips Judy. I just froze my first blueberries a week or so ago and I'm looking forward to using them!

Unknown said...

How interesting..we never freeze any fruit or vege here, but then we don't have all the fun in different seasons. Again, I would love to have basketful of berries, they are way too expensive to eat here. Hugs...

Jacque said...

Judy...thanks for stopping by the farmhouse for a visit! I have been reading your blog, trying to catch up on your interests! This is our second year at the farm and we are still in remodeling mode, so my canning skills are limited for awhile. Hopefully next year we can start a REAL garden, right now it is apples, grapes, and pecans! I hope to learn alot from your freezing and canning tips!

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi Judy ! My ,my you are an energetic girl ! I had a beautiful garden and the blight got most of it :0( :0(
Have you ever frozen your corn on the cob ? When ready to cook just thaw and pop it into the microwave for 3 minutes, then hold under cool water ( so you can handle it ) and shuck it. The husk and tassels just slide right off .

Anonymous said...

Great info. Judy!! I grew lots of herbs this summer and will definitely use your suggestion on drying and storing. :)

Simone said...

Thank you for the freezing tips. I will try to freeze the berries I have in the garden. x

Cherdecor said...

I prefer freezing veggies also because it is so easy. I have a few blueberries to freeze today.
I put berries on trays also. It works!

I just read Theresa's comment about freezing corn on the cob and in the husks!!!! I think I may try that. Wait! I don't know if I have room in the freezer. When I husked an ear yesterday I say a worm. I wonder if they freeze well too???? Just kidding!

Shelley said...

Great tips here! I'll have to check out that brunch cookbook you mentioned! I'm always looking for the ultimate pancake recipe!

Unknown said...

Great tips. I freeze some of my herbs on a cookie sheet first and then into ziplock bag and this way they are seperate and I can grap a leaf or stem or whatever is needed. You have a great site.
Happy Twirls